Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Zefe's Mexican Restaurant on Myrtle Avenue in Brooklyn




Today my Hubb and I stayed in. Both laid up with painful injuries. It's too long to tell but trust me it's not fun when it's super hot and you have to put up with two big babies. Thank God the World Cup was on---Mexico vs. Uruguay. It was the perfect time to try out Zefe's Mexican Restaurant.  The restaurant itself is a small local spot in the heart of Bushwick. We are on the borderline on the Bedstuy side and lucky they deliver this far.

I've been meaning to try Zefe's. The menu looked official. They open at noon on the week days. We were starved by the time the food came. It didn't take too long but it seemed like an eternity.  We ordered family style so I got to try both dishes.  I got something simple, 4 flautas ( 2 stuffed w/ potatoes & 2 stuffed w/ chicken) with rice, beans, and salad. The honey bunny ordered a more serious main dish---a little more riskier. He got the Camarones Al Mojo De Ajo (Shrimp w/ garlic sauce) with rice, beans, salad, and fries. Oh, to drink I got a fresh carrot juice and he got a Agua de Jamaica because they were out of the Agua de Tamarindo.

It was casero-style (homemade) food. Not great but they pulled it off. The rice was fluffy just how I like it.  We really enjoyed the potato flautas, yummy. They didn't add Mexican cream on top like I imagined but they were still good. I will say, the deep-fried shredded chicken ones were not good at all. Neither was the shrimp in garlic sauce. The shrimp wasn't clean. We both agreed they tasted like they were fried in OLD recycled oil. The fries were from a frozen bag, nothing special. It wasn't super heavy though. It passed for an authentic basic flavor. The juice was super fresh and Jamaica drink was overly sweet.

There is a bunch more dishes we want to try. Maybe more simple dishes like tacos, sopes and sopas, huaraches, huevos con nopales (eggs w/ cactus), or their cemitas. There is alot of authentic dishes to try and since the rice and beans passed we'll find the right dishes for us---next time. Overall I'd order from them again.

Till next time,
MG

No comments:

Post a Comment